I don’t shave my legs. Nope, I don’t wax them either. I don’t use hair-removal strips or creams, razors, or lasers, so how to remove that unwanted leg hair? Well, I sport the European look all summer long, obviously. Kidding! Totally kidding. I remove my unwanted leg hair with the exact same tool that I removed my first leg hairs with when I was young. What I can I say, I’m sentimental? But seriously, I use an epilator, and it really is the same one that I’ve been using since I was 12. This hair removal tool has been with me for nearly 16 years and has never failed me! Now that I’m a mom to a busy-body one year old, time is of the essence and I don’t have time (or desire) to sit there and shave my legs every dang day. So if you’re not already, it’s time to get to epilating!
I love being a woman (Amen!) but let’s be honest, when it comes to female hygiene and personal care, things get expensive around here! So, if I can save money (cause I’m as frugal as they come), time and save me from cutting myself with a dang razor (because that’s happened more times than I can count) then I am so in! Any time I shave, I feel hair regrowth within an hour. My legs go from baby bum soft to a full on forest within the same day! Shaving is already an annoying task but it becomes especially annoying when you feel regrowth a few hours later. This is why I love using an epilator; because my baby bum smooth skin lasts. Not only does it last all day, but it lasts all week! In fact, it lasts anywhere from two to three weeks! I know!!
Similar to waxing, an epilator pulls the hair from the root, allowing the hair to grow back more slowly than shaving. But instead of having to worry about burning yourself with wax, removing layers of skin or spending money on monthly waxings, an epilator causes no damage to your skin and costs a one time fee that may last you an entire lifetime. Using an epilator is very simple and easy. It’s actually my first ever experience with hair removal. I learned how to shave my legs with this thing. One of the few downfalls to epilating is that it can be painful, but don’t run away just yet! Of course there are certain areas that are a lot more sensitive but when it comes to epilating my legs, I don’t find it to be nearly as painful as waxing. While you can use an epilator anywhere on your body, I’d proceed with caution. I’ve only used mine on my arms and legs but have heard of people using it on their bikini line and pubic hair. Now that sounds painful, but people do it!
Before you get to epilating (because I know you’re all in a rush to buy one now), there are a few things you should know:
- Exfoliate prior to epilating to help avoid the chance of ingrown hairs
- Allow hair to grow a bit more evenly before using an epilator. This will ensure that the hairs can be removed successfully and reduce the chance of patchy spots and hair growing back more quickly than others.
- Shower before epilating to open the pores and soften the hair for a less painful experience.
- Do not put any creams or lotions on before epilating. If your skin is sticky in any way, the epilator will bounce around on your skin and will be very difficult to use.
- There are SO many epilators to choose from, so find the one that will suit your needs. They even make epilators for specific areas on your face and body.
So if you’re sick and tired of shaving your legs everyday or want your smooth hair free legs to last a little longer, give epilating a try, you won’t regret it!